The Italians have figured something out… Caprese salad is one of the most completely satisfying dishes. Sliced tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, fresh basil, simple seasonings, and a drizzle of olive oil and the most delicious tasting balsamic vinegar. Ahhh, delicious simplicity at its finest.
I often riff on the classic Caprese and why not? It is the perfect base to many a dish, including Caprese pasta salad, roasted tomato Caprese salad, fried green tomato Caprese salad and now this, a Caprese-inspired Italian chicken salad.
This Caprese-inspired Italian chicken salad is perfect for a laid-back summer dinner, for when you are pressed for time and can’t think of what to make for dinner, when you are on a road trip and want to pack something healthy and delicious, or stuff into smaller size tomatoes for a bite-sized appetizer. Once you try it, it will most likely get added to your I-got-this-mastered meal repertoire.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
2 chicken breasts - 4 large tomatoes - 4 basil leaves, thinly sliced - 1/2 mozzarella ball, cubed - 1/8 teaspoon black pepper - 1/4 teaspoon sea salt - De Nigris Platinum Eagle Balsamic Vinegar
- Fill pot with water on stove with chicken and bring to a boil on medium-high heat and cook for thirty minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, hollow out tomatoes and scoop out the insides and set aside. The insides will not be used for this recipe so save it for a soup or sauce for another day. If tomatoes are lopsided, thinly slice the bottom to level.
- Once chicken has finished cooking and slightly cobite-sized into bite sized chunks and place in mixing bowl.
- Add basil, mayonnaise, mozzarella, salt and pepper to chicken and mix thoroughly.
- Stuff tomato shells with chicken and drizzle with DeNigris Platinum Eagle Balsamic Vinegar and serve.
The Women Blogger member Lyndi Fultz writes about living and eating well from her life in beautiful Northwest Arkansas at nwafoodie. Much of her blogging inspiration comes from this gem of a place, which she refers to as the proverbial land of milk-and-honey. Read more related to cooking, entertaining, gadget suggestions, ingredient explorations, local finds, local restaurant treasures, kitchen tour spotlights, and always with a healthy and simplistic approach.