Sloppy Joes are like having a hearty chili without all the heaviness. They are designed for light-hearted evenings watching a family favorite movie with a side of salted buttery popcorn. Who doesn’t love that?
Sloppy Joes are often the forgotten meal. You know, those meals that you make every once in a while and then wonder why you don’t make it more often. Everyone in the family loves it and they are so easy to make. The ingredient list can be as simple or as complex as you desire. However, if your goal is to create something incredible delicious with depth, I recommended adding key ingredients to give your Sloppy Joes a well-rounded taste profile. Obviously, meat and tomatoes in the form of ketchup and paste is the base. That’s a given. Next you will want to add a balance of ingredients from savory Worchester to tart Dijon mustard to a zesty kiss of apple-cider vinegar to balance everything out.
The best part of this recipe is that it makes a lot of Sloppy Joes. Set some aside for breakfast and add it to your morning omelet with a dollop of sour cream. No salsa required.
APPLE-CIDER-KISSED SLOPPY JOES
- 1 sweet onion, chipped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 5 mushrooms, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worchester sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4th teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoon De Nigris organic raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar
1. Sauté onions, butter and oil in skillet over medium-high heat for five minutes.
2. Add ground beef and stir frequently, breaking up chunks, for fifteen minutes.
3. Add green peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, garlic, ketchup, Worchester sauces, Dijon mustard, tomato paste, salt, and pepper. Stir, reduce heat to low and cook for thirty minutes.
4. Remove cover and add De Nigris organic raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar. Stir.
5. Serve on wheat buns for the ultimate sandwich. And enjoy!