Chicken is far and away the most consumed protein source in our house. Between two picky eaters and two health-conscious adults, the easiest thing to cook and get on the plate in a normal amount of time is always chicken and some sides. That being said, we are always on the hunt for delicious, quick and easy when it comes to making dinner interesting.
I love the way you can make this recipe in an incredible number of variations based on the preserves you have on hand. The version I made for this post uses peach preserves bought at a store, but I’m including a couple of other options to make it fun. The key is to always add your De Nigris balsamic vinegar to balance out the sweetness and add a burst of flavor! A few of the best combinations I’ve come across are:
- strawberry jam, black pepper and a sprinkle of freshly torn basil
- raspberry jam, a sprinkle of hot pepper flakes and a finely minced clove of garlic
- cherry preserves, minced shallot and toasted sesame seeds
- orange marmalade, minced garlic, freshly grated ginger and a drizzle of toasted sesame oil
INGREDIENTS (serves 4):
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts - 1-1/2 teaspoons salt - 1/2 teaspoon black pepper - 2 teaspoons garlic powder - 3/4 cup peach preserves - 1-1/2 tablespoons DeNigris Balsamic Vinegar - 1 clove minced garlic
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Sprinkle the chicken breasts evenly with the salt, pepper and garlic powder and lay in a greased baking dish.
- Bake at 450 for 18 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the peach preserves, balsamic vinegar and minced garlic in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- After 18 minutes brush the chicken breasts with a little bit of the sauce and bake for another 3 minutes.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the oven and cover with tin foil to rest for 10 minutes.
- Continue to simmer the sauce until thick, about 5-8 minutes.
- When the chicken has rested, serve hot with the remaining sauce drizzled on top.