Who else is ready for tomato season? This soup is delicious warm or chilled for the warm days ahead.
Make enough to fill your freezer with this savory soup, and you can have a delicious, homemade soup in no time. Turn this veggie-based soup into a hearty meal by topping with cooked Italian sausage, shredded rotisserie chicken or even a fried egg, and serve with crusty bread for dipping.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (28 ounces) cans whole tomatoes (fresh is best)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons De Nigris Balsamic Vinegar
- Fresh basil, cut chiffonade for garnish
- De Nigris Balsamic Pearls for garnish
- crushed breadcrumbs for garnish
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Sauté diced onion for 4 minutes or until softened.
- Add in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add in the tomatoes.
- Stir in brown sugar and chicken broth.
- Add bay leaf and bring the mixture to boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pull out the bay leaf.
- Using a blender, fill ¾ full of soup and blend until mixture is smooth.
- Strain the blended soup through a strainer and repeat until all soup has been blended and strained.
- Return the strained soup to the pot, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in De Nigris balsamic vinegar. Bring to a simmer until warmed through.
- Garnish with basil, De Nigris Balsamic Pearls, breadcrumbs.